The Committee consists of 13 members appointed by the Minister, and one ex-officio member from Heritage NSW. The ex-officio member is a non-voting member of the Committee.
Committee members have vast and diverse knowledge and understanding of Aboriginal culture and heritage. This knowledge is unique because it comes from their own experiences of working on Country in their local communities. Membership reflects the diversity of the Aboriginal population of NSW and achieves a gender balance. Membership includes:
- Nominee of the NSW Aboriginal Land Council (NSWALC)
- Nominee of the Heritage Council of NSW
- Nominee of NTSCORP Limited
- Members of Local Aboriginal Land Councils
- Nominees of Aboriginal Elders Groups
- Aboriginal owners listed on the register under the Aboriginal Land Rights Act 1983
- Registered Native Title Claimants.