Notice of publication of Submissions Report for the preliminary documentation under the Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999 (EPBC Act).
Publication of preliminary documentation - Willandra Ancestral remains reburial 2022
The following notice is published pursuant to Section 95B(2) of the EPBC Act that requires the publication of preliminary documentation for information following the public comment period where comments are received. This publication is for information only.
Heritage NSW (NSW Department of Premier and Cabinet) proposes to rebury 108 Aboriginal Ancestors (including Mungo Man and Mungo Woman) that were previously excavated from the Willandra Lakes Region World Heritage Area. The Ancestors will be reburied at 26 sites across Mungo National Park and four Western Land Lease properties in NSW. The reburial project is the final stage in the return of the repatriated Ancestors that are currently held in secure storage at Mungo National Park (reference: EPBC 2021/8951).
The proposed action was determined a Controlled Action under the EPBC Act with a Preliminary Documentation level of assessment. The controlling provisions are World Heritage properties (Sections 12 & 15A) and National Heritage places (Sections 15B & 15C).
The preliminary documentation previously provided in relation to the action (including attachments) and a submissions report (containing a summary of the comments received and how these comments have been addressed) will be available for public information for a period of 60 business days from Monday 28 March to Friday 17 June 2022 at each of the following locations in addition to this website (see below):
- Buronga Library – Midway Service Centre, 6 Midway Drive, Buronga NSW 2739
- Wentworth Library – Murray Street, Wentworth NSW 2648
- NSW Department of Planning, Industry and Environment - Corner of Sturt Highway and Melaleuca Street, Buronga NSW 2739.
Persons with special needs (e.g. for whom English is a second language or who has a vision impairment) may contact Heritage NSW for assistance on 02 6022 0631 or firstname.lastname@example.org
EPBC referral and attachments
- Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act Referral
- Attachment A (Part 1) - Review of Environmental Factors
- Attachment A (Part 4) - Review of Environmental Factors - Appendices 3-18
- Attachment B - REF Determination Letter
- Attachment C - REF Determination Notice
- Attachment D - Heritage Act s60 Approval
- Attachment E - World Heritage Area - Draft Plan of Management
- Attachment F - The Willandra Elders Plan of Management
- Attachment G - Repatriation Forum #1 Report
- Attachment H - Repatriation Forum #2 Report
- Attachment I - Repatriation Forum #3 Report
- Attachment J - Review of Meetings
- Attachment K - Mungo Statement 1989
- Attachment L - Willandra Lakes Region World Heritage Aboriginal Advisory Group Research Code of Practice