This exemption is for minor excavation or disturbance of land without removal of State significant relics.
Examples of typical minor excavation or disturbance activities/works include excavation:
- of an existing service trench to inspect, maintain or repair underground services
- to access and repair building foundations
- as part of insect or vermin eradication.
If substantial intact archaeological relics of State or local significance or any Aboriginal objects are discovered during excavation, activities/works must stop, and Heritage NSW notified.
Standard Exemption 8: Excavation
General conditions apply to the use of all Standard Exemptions and must be complied with.
The following specified activities/works to an item do not require approval under subsection 57(1) of the Heritage Act 1977 if the specified activities/works are undertaken in accordance with each of the relevant standards prescribed below.
- Excavation or disturbance of land that is:
- for the purpose of exposing underground utility services infrastructure which occurs within an existing service trench, or
- to carry out inspections or emergency maintenance or repair on underground utility services, or
- to maintain, repair, or replace underground utility services to buildings, or
- to maintain or repair the foundations of an existing building, or
- to expose survey marks, or
- associated with feral animal/insect eradication.
- Removing contaminated soils.
c. Activities/works must not disturb or remove any relics.
d. Excavation must not compromise the structural integrity of any heritage structure or significant landscape elements.
e. Activities/works must not affect archaeological evidence, for example the archaeology of foundation trench deposits from the time of original construction.
f. If an environmental assessment is required under Part 5 of the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979 (NSW) in relation to (b) of the specified activities/works, the assessment must be undertaken prior to commencing any work to remove the contaminated soil.
- The Heritage Manual (1996, Heritage Office and Department of Urban Affairs & Planning)
- The Maintenance Series (1996, republished 2004, NSW Heritage Office and Department of Urban Affairs & Planning)
- The Burra Charter (The Australia ICOMOS Charter for Places of Cultural Significance) 2013
- Assessing Significance of Historical Archaeological Sites & Relics
- Guidelines for the Preparation of Archaeological Management Plans
- Stabilising stuff: a guide to conserving archaeological finds in the field