Repairs to non-significant fabric
This exemption is for repair or replacement of damaged or deteriorated non-significant fabric of a heritage item that is beyond further maintenance.
Examples of typical repair activities/works include:
- refixing palings that have fallen off a fence
- patch damaged plaster
- regrout tiles
- replacing decayed/destroyed roof gutters with new gutters on a building
For more information on significance see the Significance and Significant Fabric fact sheet.
Standard Exemption 2: Repairs to non-significant fabric
General conditions apply to the use of all Standard Exemptions and must be complied with.
The following specified activities/works to an item do not require approval under subsection 57(1) of the Heritage Act 1977 if the specified activities/works are undertaken in accordance with each of the relevant standards prescribed below.
- Repair (such as refixing and patching) of damaged or deteriorated non-significant fabric.
- Replacement of missing, damaged or deteriorated non-significant fabric that is beyond further maintenance.
- Specified activities/works must not involve alteration to, damage to, or the removal of, significant fabric.
- Only missing, damaged or deteriorated non-significant fabric that is beyond further repair or maintenance may be replaced.
- Any new materials must not exacerbate the decay of significant fabric due to chemical incompatibility, obscure existing significant fabric or limit access to significant fabric for future maintenance.
- The Heritage Manual (1996, Heritage Office and Department of Urban Affairs & Planning)
- The Maintenance Series (1996, republished 2004, NSW Heritage Office and Department of Urban Affairs & Planning)
- The Burra Charter (The Australia ICOMOS Charter for Places of Cultural Significance) 2013
- Maintenance Series 1.1: Inspection schedule
- Maintenance Series 1.2: Documenting maintenance and repair
- Maintenance Series 5.2: Timber repairs
- Maintenance Series 5.3: Patching old floorboards
- Maintenance Series 5.4: Repair of tongue and groove floorboards
- Maintenance Series 7.1: Plaster finishes
- Technical Note: repairing mortar joints
- The investigation and repair of historic concrete
- Federation Chimneys
- Federation fences and gates part 1
- Federation fences and gates part 2