Local government and their communities are at the forefront of conserving heritage in NSW. Here is some additional guidance material for local councils and heritage advisors.
These guidelines aim to assist local councils with heritage management. They explain:
- the delegation of certain approval functions of the Heritage Council of NSW to local councils
- the authorisation for local councils to make Interim Heritage Orders.
See also the Delegations page for more information.
Heritage Advisory Services Handbook
This handbook aims to assist with the practical aspects of establishing a heritage advisory service.
Our Heritage Grants program offers funding opportunities to local councils for:
- heritage advisor services
- heritage studies
- small grants for local heritage items
- Aboriginal cultural heritage projects
- other community engagement projects
See the Grants page for more information and eligibility criteria as well as specific information for local government heritage grants.
Fire and access
These publications have guidance on balancing fire safety, disability access and heritage significance in buildings. They are for owners and managers of heritage buildings. Some will assist local government with development applications for heritage items.